View Single Post
Old 12-16-19, 01:08 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's a 1987 model manufactured in late 1986, as the 1986 models didn't have the Nishiki logo with the overlapping bar containing the series designation.
Thanks for the comments T-Mar,

Still, I might need some clarification of what you wrote. Are you referring to the down tube "NISHIKI" decal with the small inset ("overlapping bar")? I still haven't seen a confirmed '86 model per a catalogue. All examples I've see as referred to by their current owners as " '86 models" are identical to my frame (paint and decals), and also the '87 catalogue example. I only thought my frame might be an '87 due to the later '86 component date, and with the comparison to the known '87 example.

Just a note: this frame rides great once you're used to the feel of the steering. Unfortunately, at my age with my injuries it goes out for less than 20 miles a ride (fast!); I did a 30 mile ride last week on it and my back knew it!

Thanks again! Always appreciate your knowledge regarding these older frames. I have a Nishiki touring frame donated to me recently so I will post that for your serial number database also; believe it's '80/'81 Gran Tour 15; workmanship appears to be of decent quality, with original paint (dark green) in good condition.