Old 05-11-20, 06:59 PM
CerveloS5

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S5 Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Post Hip Surgery Cycling Advice?

Hello - newbie here. Just joined the big 5-0 club on 4.29 and excited to have found this forum. 16 months ago, I broke my hip in a ski accident. I had to decide between hip replacement or hip repair. Since I was in reasonably good shape with little arthritis (for a 48 year old ha!), the surgeon recommended trying to repair the hip. Thankfully, he did a masterful job and while the recovery was long and difficult, I feel almost normal today. I used to enjoy a couple of triathlons a year in my 40's and got up to doing a couple of Half IM's (and for a minute considered Lake Placid), but I've come to realize that my running days are over with the hip so I just sold my Cervelo P2C and Specialized Allez Comp and picked up a used Cervelo S5. I love the bike - feels a lot like my P2 and the Di2 is really slick.

I put on about 15lbs over the last 16 months since breaking the hip. I'm 6' and weighed in at 205lbs. Approaching 50 has motivated me to get the weight off and start cycling again. I started eating better and using the elliptical 5 weeks ago and I'm at 192 lbs as of this morning. I'd like to get down to 180 lbs and want cycling to be a primary part of my regimen. Just looking for some advice from those on here who have had a hip repair or replacement and how it's affected your cycling? I do get some hip pain while on the bike, but I'm attributing that to just getting back on the bike. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CerveloS5; 05-11-20 at 07:05 PM.