View Single Post
Old 05-14-20, 11:07 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My brother broke his hip similar to your injury so only screws were needed to make the repairs. He was back riding within a few months and got back to his old form. He still has a slight limp and some dull pain, including while riding. Fortunately no necrosis for him as well.

I‘M 67 and crashed riding on asphalt in August, 2018. I had a complete break in the femur neck at the base of the ball. The ball was also dislocated. There wasn’t a way to do a repair so I got a total hip replacement the next day. I had the posterior procedure (vs anterior) so recovery took much longer. I was back on the trainer in about 8 weeks and riding on the road in about 12 weeks. I probably could have started riding sooner but I also wanted the surgeon’s full support and permission. As a part of recovery I walked a lot.....maybe more than I should have.

Folks here generally indicated that it would take about a year to get back to normal and I think that’s about what I experienced. I thought of 2019 as a recovery year but even at that I was able to do 5 week long bike tours. I think I had around 6000 miles for the year and felt like I wasn’t riding as much. I don’t have any discomfort while riding. I do think I’ve lost a little muscle strength but I’m basically doing everything I was doing before the replacement. About the only times I notice the hip is when I’m trying to lift something really heavy, or I’m trying to push a really hard gear. It’s not terribly painful but the joint just isn’t real happy with it.

I enjoy riding longer rides and have ridden 100+ mile rides at least once the last 4-5 weeks with the longest being 137 miles. I also play golf and we walk 18 holes every morning Monday-Friday. It hasn’t affected my golf at all. I think that the lay-off while recovering affected my cardio.....I just haven’t gotten back to where I was before the crash. I probably could but that means a lot more effort and suffering than I’m wanting to do. So, I’ve slowed my speed down some but I just do what I feel like doing.

i recently sold my P2c as well. No more TT’s for me! I think Cervelo makes a fine bike for the money. I rode my R3 across the US in 2016 and recently bought a R3 disc. I know you’ll enjoy getting back into cycling shape! A year from now you’ll look back and feel great about your progress. All the best!