View Single Post
Old 05-16-20, 07:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloS5
Sounds like you had a nasty crash. My break was similar to yours in that the femur neck was completely separated by the ball and the ball was impacted, but I had a very talented surgeon at Dartmouth Hitchcock who realigned everything and screwed me back together. He said doing a hip replacement was far easier and I would walk out of the hospital. My recovery was very long, but now I'm feeling pretty good and looking forward to getting back on the bike!
I also had a hematoma the size of a football on the side of the broken hip. The surgeon said he’d only seen injuries like that in violent crashes like automobile wrecks. He drained 5 pints of blood off of it. He said the blood had pooled between the skin and fatty tissue. I wasn’t riding too fast.... low 20’s but apparently hit some large chunks of gravel, went airborne and landed hard on my hip. There were probably 12-15 in our pace line and I was the only one to go down.