Old 08-02-11, 06:41 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Ham-fisted mechanics: a sad story.

Be forewarned, this is going to sound like a rant ('cause it is)...

To foreshadow, I was lucky enough to score a virtually unused Zeus 2000 alloy freewheel from the Netherlands; I received it in the mail today. My intention is to put it on a 6-speed wheelset that currently has a virtually unused Everest alloy freewheel.

Everest aluminum freewheels are notorious for stripping out/cracking along the threading on the outboard cogs; unfortunately, I know this from experience - both times while riding. This last unit was one of three I got in a package deal long ago in Phoenix and has been used only for show/short jaunts. However, I've been longing to use this wheelset but have not had either the removal tool for an Everest or a suitable 6-speed freewheel until today. Thus, I decided to take it to my LBS for removal, with the intention of putting the Everest in the display cabinet or selling it on Ebay.

I took it to both local shops; the first treated it very nicely, carefully checking to ensure proper fitment of the removal tool before letting me know that the only tool they had was just a smidgen too wide to do the job. This shop is always super-careful with my stuff. I thanked them and headed for the other shop just down my street. They cater to road bikes, BMX and have a side business in ski/snowboard repair/resurfacing. The owner's an old-school roadie and I go in every few months to BS with him.

Today, the owner was not in the shop when I rolled in at 1715 (5:15 for you non-military types) but for the first time since I've been going there had a hired gun. I handed him the wheel and explained what I needed to have done.

***THIS IS IMPORTANT***

First of all, his reaction: "Wow, this is some really cool old-school ***t!" he exclaimed. As in, he knew this was not something I could run out and buy tomorrow. Second, I did not ask nor imply that I needed it today. In any case, he took the wheel around the corner and back to the workbench; said bench can be seen through a wall cutout next to the front counter. About this time, the owner walked in and we caught up a bit; he finished by inquiring what he could do for me. I told him his man was working on removing the freewheel. We stepped over to the cutout to see the mechanic - and I use the term with a fat tongue in cheek - trying to jam the two-prong remover down over the end cone and wondering why it won't go. I realized immediately that part of the reason was that the skewer was still in the hub; it wasn't going anywhere, though, as his operation had already bent it at a 30 degree angle. I'd been in the shop about 7 minutes by this point.

The other reason: with some removers, the Campy outer cone must be removed first. I won't go into the boring details, especially as I'm sure most of you that do your own maintenance know this. But this guy - he just kept jamming that remover down as though any second it would magically go all the way on and he'd be able to get it off. He then - get this - grabbed up a chain whip! I have no idea what he was thinking at that point, but I got my mouth in gear and halted the operation. I pulled the owner aside and told him that one: I didn't need it today, so rushing was not needed and two: I did not want that "mechanic" to touch it. I trust the owner which was why I went to his shop, you know?

Anyhow, the owner used a rubber mallet to bend back the axle enough to remove it. That's when I noticed the remover prongs had scraped up the alloy on the outermost cog. That really did it for me; I was more than seething but held my tongue. I went 'round to the counter, filled out a labor slip and pleaded with the owner on my way out not to put that guy on my wheel.

Now, the question: should I even pay for this removal tomorrow when I've been told to pick it up? I have a weakened skewer and a chewed-up freewheel that will look like *ss in a display and of course will rake in less money on Ebay now - all because I trusted that my equipment would be treated well.

Anybody else have similar run-ins with clueless wrench-jockeys? I mean, before I did my own maintenance I used to run my bikes in all the time and never had I seen anything approaching this kind of treatment - particularly noting how the guy seemed to know exactly what he had in his hot little hands.

In the end, all I can say is that I'm relieved beyond words that I have the proper tool to remove my Campy alloy freewheel...

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to my One-Star Madman drive-by Don't let me down!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-02-11 at 06:45 PM.