Old 04-20-13, 05:28 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My bikes really need new portraits. Until I can beg, borrow, or buy a new camera, these will have to suffice.

2006 Trek Portland--"Mr. Portland" is my four-seasons, all-conditions commuter, shown here wearing its studded snow tires, old winter fenders, and higher-rise winter stem. Mr. Portland is the only bike I currently own that I bought new from the showroom, although it had waited there patiently for me until the 2008s had come out. Nimble without being twitchy, stable without being sluggish, and with a ride that rivals my Ti bike, Mr Portland takes all the drama out of the commute, no matter what the conditions. And the more stuff I load in its panniers, the happier it is. It's the perfect city bike for me.

1999 Schwinn Peloton--I picked up "Blue Steel" second-hand for a song. It's under-appreciated due to the "S" word in its downtube, but its specs are impressive. Reynolds 853 steel frame handbuilt in Wisconsin, full Ultegra except for the Dura-Ace RD. Its previous owner put on the Easton carbon fork and Neuvation wheels (which I've since debadged, making them infinitely better-looking). This early photo shows it with the 90mm 17° rise stem it came with. Fit for me, it now has a 110mm 6° stem. Its lively ride and crit geometry make it just a hoot to ride in traffic.

1996 Litespeed Classic--"Jeeves" shown here when I first built it up using wheels and components from Blue Steel. I bought it as a frameset-only from its original owner, another member of my club who had to switch to recumbents. It now sports 2008 Dura-Ace 7800 components and Velocity A23 PRO-Build wheels. Jeeves is a real gentleman's gentleman of a ride, hence its name, but true to its downtube label, it's no slouch either

2000 Trek 1000--"YellowBike" was honorably retired this past January after I discovered a crack in its head tube, no doubt due to stress risers introduced when we were hit by a car. At the time we thought it was only a crack in the paint. This past autumn that had turned into, "Gee, something feels loose in the front end when I brake". Its wheels and components have been moved to a new frame (see below), where they ride on. The frameset now hangs on the wall, using its bars as a hanger.

2013 Ribble Winter/Audax--Manufacturer's photo of the frame I bought to replace YellowBike. I fitted it with a Dedacciai Black Rain carbon fork with fender eyelets and Cane Creek headset. Imagine this frame, but with YellowBike's components (above). I was dumbstruck at how nicely this US$136 aluminum frame rides. What I thought would be a placeholder frame until I could afford something better, instantly became a keeper and favored ride, filling the three-seasons, backup commuter role.