Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanAK
Budget... top end could go $2000+ if the build is spread out over time. Biggest single buy will be the frame set, and I can go $500 up to maybe $800 or a little more for the right frame. Components can be new or used, with an emphasis on reliable, good value stuff. If I stretch out my cash flow a bit, I can go with higher end components. Brakes, cables, levers one week. Handlebars next month. Etc. I'm not in a hurry.
I'm in the same boat. I've often thought of selling my road bike and my '90s drop-bar MTB and replacing them both a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross with cantilever brakes.

I can't justify buying a $2000+ complete bike, but I could put it together over time, with parts from my two local bike co-ops, craigslist, and the internet. I've considered buying a frame and headset from Mr. Varley and also buying a donor bike from craigslist to get it rolling.

I see '90s hybrids with cantilevers and 700c wheels on craigslist every day with $100 - $150 asking prices (but never in my size or I'd have one). I could buy one without regard to frame size for $100 or $150 and move most of the parts over to the new frame to get started, and then upgrade over time. I bet there aren't too many BMC MCs running a 3x7 drivetrain!

Good luck Ryan. Let us know how it goes.