Old 07-12-19, 03:39 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
There are several nonagenarians and a couple of almost-nonagenarians in my family tree, as well, so my wife and I are budgeting our money for age 100+. However, I am far more concerned about quality of life than quantity.
While I've had a good draw in my ancestors and have the possibility of an above average long life, I'm more interested in the quality of that life which I can effect through my own actions. Good genes are not a blank check to good health. Those actions are good and balanced diet and exercise with some weight training. Old age brings on some aches and stiffness which takes more effort to deal with these days than the effort required even 5-6 years ago. My feeling is that maintaining mobility through stretching and maintaining range of motion is an important part of maintaining overall health. I can still remember breaking a leg playing sports in high school and being in a cast for 5 weeks. When the cast was removed leg muscles were atrophied with very poor range of motion. If you don't move, whatever the age, you soon will be unable to.
Likes For berner: