Blightybiker

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix (circa 1977)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chain compatibilty for Suntour V-GT Luxe derailleur

Hello all,
I have a circa 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, made in England. I don't do many miles on it and then only in dry, clean conditions. Consequently I don't seem to need to do much serious maintenance on her. The fitted 10-speed dérailleur (derailer) is a Suntour and I think the model type is V-GT Luxe. This weekend things went a bit out of kilter, with it being impossible to get into lower gears. I have adjusted the "H" and "L" limiters and I hope that will have improved matters.
However, in faffing around I noticed that the chain is looking tired, dirty and sorry for itself. I have not changed it in the past seven years so I think it's time for a new one .

My question is, what would be the best new chain? Online shops seem to talk about Shimano, SRAM, et.c but I don't know for sure how to make sure these other-branded chains are compatible with my dérailleur.

Can anyone recommend any compatible chains?

According to the Sheldon Brown website all chains have a 0.4" pitch and the widths (narrower for larger cog numbers) is not really critical. So it seems that if I buy almost any 10 speed chain then I should be OK.

Thanks for any help with this!
Roy