Old 08-26-19, 10:27 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Curious about the Gojo. I may try that next.

Currently I wipe down my chain after every ride using the Scott shop towels and degreaser. I spray the degreaser mix (simple green) lightly directly onto the towel and just wipe the outside of the chain. I make sure I don't put enough degreaser to soak into the chain pivots/rivets so that it doesn't dissolve the chain lube inside the pivots. Just a light enough spray to cut through the grime on the outside of the chain. Then I do a second pass with just the shop towel, to remove any trace of the degreaser from the outside of the chain, and discard the towel.

About every 100 miles or so I reapply the Finish Line wet lube. The chain/transmission noise will tell me when I need to. It's very quiet right after cleaning and application, but then after maybe 5 or so rides of between 10-25 miles, if after doing the quick wipe down it is still markedly noisier, then I'll do a reapplication of the lube.

After maybe 500 miles I'll do a deep clean of the chain using the Park Tool chain cleaner tool and full strength chain degreaser, followed by a pass with soapy water, then multiple passes with regular water and allow to air dry before applying the lube again, one drop on each pivot. Since I ride just about every day, this ends up being maybe once every 4-5 weeks. More frequently if I've done riding in very dusty/sandy areas like trails or beach-side paths.