View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 12:49 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by tpower
I'm 38, 2 kids, and a wife that races, and I also try and run a team, as well as full time job and typical Dad duties. Anyways, I feel you with the whole training time thing but you know what, in CX you can make so much time up by being technically sound and smooth. Half a second every corner, second on a barrier section and maybe even more by hitting good lines in technical areas. It all adds up and doesn't require any more power from you, just less brakes and good handling.

If you want an even easier bike to maintain then go with a single speed out the back.

Aluminum SSCX with canti's and tubular wheels can be pretty fast low maintenance bike and had used for like, I don't know, $600? Get an all around tread for the Tubies and then maybe another set of tubeless wheels to swap for super dry or super muddy (file tread and something like the BOS). Winning.

Way to get out there! Great pics! Cheers!
Hey thanks! And totally agree about the technical bike handling vs. power thing. I grew up riding BMX and mountain bikes, and usually do pretty well in the more technical twisty sections.

This post makes me wonder if it's possible to convert my current bike (Cannondale CAADX) to a single speed? This would give me a great excuse to buy a new geared race bike, and start doing two races on Sundays.
I might have to do some research into this.