View Single Post
Old 05-29-18, 06:18 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
Getting back to full regular (not reverse) shoulder replacement, there are two facts that we don't have control over: the time it takes the prosthesis to fuse to the bone, and the time it takes any cut and reattached tendons to be fully healed. In both cases, fusing and healing must be related to how well the prosthesis, bones, muscles, and tendons can withstand forces like leaning on the handlebar or falling off a bike.

It sure would be nice to have input here from a surgeon. My surgeon told me it takes 1 year for the prosthesis and bone to fully fuse, and 4 months for the tendons to be solidly attached. Surgeons may vary in their opinion on this, I suppose, but I would not want to be dealing with a surgeon who claims you can have the specific procedure I'm talking about (see first sentence) and get on a bike two days later. Either the surgeon is a quack or the procedure wasn't the one I'm referring to.
Your surgeon has HIS RULES and mine has HIS RULES determined by their experience, expertise and the knowledge of the patient. My full regular shoulder replacement has served me well without issues from the 3 days after implant and me riding. JUST BECAUSE your surgeon is uncomfortable with the time frame of my fusion and suture healing does not mean that IT CAN'T HAPPEN.