Old 06-27-19, 09:21 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
There's a huge range in accuracy (and precision) among pumps. What that means is that it's hard to evaluate someone else's post that they run X psi.

Unless you have a way to evaluate your pump and their pump, the best you can do is to hope your pump is consistent, then experiment.
I’m using a Zefal Husky pump that I’ve had for over 20 years. It has a decent gauge but I don’t rely on that. I purchased a Lezyne digital pressure gauge and have been using it to check pressures before each ride. Since latex tubes typically lose at least 15-25 psi in just one day, using the digital pressure gauge is almost mandatory anyway. It reads out (vertically which is a bit odd) in 1 psi increments. So long as you have your presta valve fully open and push the gauge on squarely (not off to the side) I trust the reading that it gives.

This is whole experiment of running latex tubes & monitoring pressures for what is optimal has been pretty game changing so far for me.

I’ll post an update tonight to document how the 80 psi front, 91 psi rear set up performs...