Old 06-22-04, 07:59 PM
powells2
bikin'barbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobe
To lose weight you have to burn fat. If you eat enough food to supply your body’s energy needs purely from your caloric intake, then you don’t lose weight. Several years ago, I was riding about 60 miles per week but was not losing weight. I was carb-loading for big rides and not cutting back on my eating. Health problems have kept me off a bike for a few years, but I am back on a recumbent now. I am eating low carb, losing weight, and working my way back into shape.

Low carb is working for me and hasn’t slowed me down as I work my way back up to 60 miles a week. You need to find the best plan for you, but you have to eat less then you burn.
Weight loss and maintenance can be frustrating. I have trained for and rode a century this past month and currently ride about 250-300 miles per week. Would you believe I have gained 8 pounds over the past several months? It has a lot to do with carbo loading on a regular basis. I actually weigh less off season when I don't carbo load all the time! Go figure - the body has a mind of its own!