View Single Post
Old 09-14-20, 04:32 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I had an old Raleigh That I had bought new with lifetime guaranty. I rode that thing literally into the ground. I was on a RAGBRAI across Iowa . At an overnight stop I was riding across a park and crossed a shallow dip. The frame snapped at the bottom bracket. I called the wife back in Illinois and had her bring a frame and wheel set I had in the garage. I spent the next day building a bike . I bought a set of light racing type tires for it. Only lost one day getting it up and going . The next day I was on a long downhill trying it out for speed. The rider next to me was counting off the speed as I had no puter yet. Just as he said " 40 " my front tire went with a loud pop. It was good that we were on a stretch of RAGBRAI dedicated highway because I covered both sides of the road with all the grace and poise of a terror stricken 5 yr old . The tire was beyond saving. I got lucky and found a repair van at the top of the next hill. He looked at the tire and said he didn't have anything that fancy. lol I told him if he had tires that were tough as practical ,I needed both changed out.
Blown front tire at speed is something I never want to experience again.EVER
EDIT ti add- Raleigh gave me a brand new complete bike- NO COST
Likes For Olefeller77: