Old 03-02-17, 10:00 AM
John33702

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy, Schwinn 3rd Avenue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howeeee
Only thing the same about todays Schwinn compared to the real American company is the name. Todays Schwinns are made by and Asian company ,some are very poor quality, others are somewhat better...
I bought a Schwinn 3rd Avenue Hybrid from a dealer selling through Walmart back in December 2016. It came with a lot of very good reviews so I got it. I didn't expect much for $199.

First day I had to put new tires and tubes on it because they wouldn't hold air. The tubes were way undersized and made from some gritty compound which wouldn't hold a patch. So down to the LBS for decent tires and tubes.

Next, the large cog of the triple chain ring wore down in weeks. Three of the teeth were so worn that with each revolution of the cog, the chain crunched over them. I replaced the Schwinn-labeled crankset with Shimano. Put a new Sram chain on to replace the piece of junk that somebody called a chain.

No lube in the bottom bracket bearings, so while I had it apart I swapped out the cup and cone system for a Shimano cartridge.

Twist shifters are for the birds, in my opinion, so I swapped them out for lever shifters.

While on a run, the front derailleur came loose and I couldn't tighten it because the bolt head was soft metal and just got chewed up. The chain rubbed against the cage all the way home, and of course, I could only use one chain ring.

The saddle post is spring loaded but the manual had no instructions how to adjust it. I found out for myself. The seat post was bottoming out when I sat on it.

Different handlebars, new rim brakes that take inserts, a rear carrier, decent lights and computer have all helped to make a nice bike. A Brooks saddle is on the way, too. Nice frame but lousy components. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who just wants to get on a bike and ride.

I ride a Specialized Fatboy bike, too, and with 2,500 miles on it since last August, I've had no problems with it.

Last edited by John33702; 03-02-17 at 10:05 AM.