View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 08:32 AM
ss_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice for new knee pain?

Hey! Been reading these forums for a while but I just joined as a user. I'd love your advice.

I've been commuting to work by bike for a while but I recently started riding more to prepare for a double century in July. It's been awesome! I now plan to continue biking long distances after

My problem: A month or so into training, I decided to buy a new bike designed for light touring. I love how it rides but I think my initial fit (just the shop eyeballing my size, nothing scientific) started causing discomfort in the front and around my knee.

I've now done about 400 miles on the bike and the knee discomfort is still there. I've probably fiddled with the fit too much now. But I've never felt knee pain before and it's really surprised me. I was riding 120 miles a week on an old, too big for me bike and didn't feel anything.

I just tried taking a couple days off to stretch and ice the area but it doesn't feel like rest is resetting the issue. I'm willing to get a professional bike fit if that will help but now I'm wondering if I need a physical therapist too?

Has anyone without prior knee issues worked through this and could offer guidance?

P.S. In between the new bikes, I also got food poisoning and was prescribed cipro, which I stupidly took without checking the side affects. They include the possibility of tendon rupture for months, so now that's on my mind too.