View Single Post
Old 07-24-19, 05:27 PM
ss_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no, somehow I missed the more recent replies to this. Thank you!

Thought I'd share an update:

I've been seeing a physical the****** who told me it was overuse and that I should stay in the lowest gears. The PT also gave me some exercises. I followed the instructions and it didn't seem like my knees got better but they did stay about the same for a bit. I also got a bike fit. Then, suddenly, after a not very difficult ride, my legs got much worse. They felt like they were made of wood. Only riding my bike seemed too make them feel better. I guess that's because they were swollen and exercise would get the blood flowing.

Still, the PT examined my knees and didn't think I was doing permanent damage. So I did the 200 mile ride I mentioned above. It wasn't a problem. But my knees still feel swollen anytime I'm off the bike. So, after that ride, I decided I would take a couple weeks off to see if I could kick the problem. Unfortunately, after about a week and a half of doing nothing but elevating and icing, my knees feel the same.

I'll probably see a sports doctor now just to get another diagnosis/treatment ideas. The PT didn't think it was tendinitis because my tendons are not tender. He didn't think it was a torn meniscus either. He thought maybe it could be patellofemoral pain syndrome. In general, I feel pretty much no acute pain (although I might if I started running). It just seems to be swelling, pressure, stiffness and discomfort around the knee.

I'm pretty bummed because I've always been a big runner and hiker too. It's hard to stay still.

Anyway, I'll try to post another update. I've read a lot of knee pain threads now and always wished people would share how things turned out.

P.S. editing this to add that I'm 29 in case that's useful to know.

Last edited by ss_; 07-24-19 at 05:32 PM. Reason: More information