View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 03:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I have ONE difficult left turn on my commute home - I usually ride up next to the car 1st in line to turn left on their right and ride next to them as they turn left (in to only 1 lane).

Is that bad?
I would say yes. Think of it in terms of traffic predictability. A motorist turning left isn't looking for traffic on their right side unless the turn is a multi-lane turn. If a motorist isn't expecting a vehicle on their right side, they aren't going to look for one. If they drift...even a little...to the right, you are out of place and probably "under car". You are also in a squeeze play if there are cars passing on the right. They aren't expecting to see you either.

Here's how I do it (along with my thought processes). I get in line behind the last car in the line. If it is a multi-lane turn, I'll be in the right most lane but still in the middle of the lane. When the light turns, I go with the traffic. Yes, the traffic can accelerate faster then me but they usually don't. Most people doddle when they turn so they don't have that much of an advantage.

The other part of turning left in turn is that I can control the cars behind me. If I have to go slower (for some reason), the cars really can't...and won't...just run over me. Drivers have been pretty well trained to avoid accidents when they can and to just run over someone because they are in the way is social unacceptable. And it involve a lot of paper work...lots and lots of paper work!

When the turn is finished, I move over towards the curb but I don't hug the curb. I move over to where it is a safe as I can be. If there is something going on in the lane that requires me to be out in the lane, that's where I will be. Even at speed people tend to avoid that paper work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!