Bike Forums - View Single Post - 2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!
Old 09-11-19, 09:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 458 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5953 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 318 Posts
On Sunday, I rode the NYC Century ride. I did "only" 87 miles. I'm slightly sore from it but in a good way. It doesn't affect my bike commuting.

Lately, I've been riding to classes with a backpack. It has my computer, books, lock, and other things. It's heavy. It doesn't bother me much, at least not yet. I think I might not need to carry the computer, at least not every day, and that will save a lot of weight. I've been wearing my mountain bike shoes which slow me down a bit when walking. I might switch to street shoes. There are no lockers at the college and no other place to drop stuff off, so I have to carry everything the whole time I'm at the college. NYC is very tight on space. The college has lockers only for people with medical needs.

Yesterday, for the first time, I rode a few extra miles while commuting. I don't know why I'm reluctant to do it, but it was the perfect day. It was warm, and I had time to kill. I had a music rehearsal at 7 pm, and my class let out at 5:25. I didn't go home. I rode on the Central Park loop road and then to a diner for dinner before rehearsal. I don't ride in Central Park much anymore. I grew up living near it, and it was my primary place to ride back in the day. I was reminded of how it has gentle hills, and I can coast down them. The river path, my current primary place to ride, doesn't have gentle hills. It is totally flat except for the new annoying detour which has short and steeper hills.

The ride home along the river late at night had a stiff headwind. I may have said this already, but I think after a few years of riding into headwinds along the river, I am finally used to it and don't find it terribly difficult. It took me a long time to learn to pace myself in a heavy wind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.