Old 09-13-19, 06:16 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 801:

Last spring we had record flooding in our city. With the storms that happened earlier this week that dumped 8"-11" of rain this morning the river rose higher than it did last spring. They don't expect the river to crest until late Saturday or early Sunday morning. So now people who survived the tornadoes are dealing with flood water on top of everything else.

The MUP I usually take was already underwater yesterday morning, so I didn't even bother trying to go that route. My route choices were somewhat limited as other streets are closed for flooding as well. I picked one that I sometimes used last spring, which is high enough that water wasn't a concern at all. The downside was this route contains some pretty busy roads, and is very hilly. I left an hour earlier than normal to try and get ahead of most of the traffic.

Temp was 54F, and there was a pretty stiff headwind.

I have to ride to a meeting this morning at my son's school to talk about him not showing up for classes. (Ugh. That's a topic for it's own thread.) So I would have had to stay late tonight to make up the time lost. Arriving at the office an hour early has the added bonus that maybe I won't have to stay as late after 5 PM.