View Single Post
Old 10-06-11, 09:23 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
After this little lesson I've decided the budget might have to grow just a bit more to get something with some quality which isn't that big of deal. So the search is still on and I'm in no hurry.
Actually, from my experience you don't want to ride your nicest, best-quality bike all winter. Winter riding is very hard on the components. After my first year of riding my bike all winter it looked like my bike had aged 20 years. At that point I regulated it to a dedicated winter commuter and bought a new commuter for nicer weather. I recommend getting a cheap bike you don't mind abusing for your winter ride. Obviously, you want better than X-mart quality, but don't think you need a "105 or better" bike.

Originally Posted by fasthair
As far as how to dress I've learned a lot reading in this forum. Plus I'm known as crazy around here because I always rode my Harley until it snowed so some of that clothes will transfer over.
I do the same with my motorcycle. My record for riding M/C was 4 degrees, but admittedly I didn't leave town. Highway speeds at that temp is downright painful. You'll actually find it a lot easier riding your bicycle in the winter versus riding your motorcycle. On bike you generate heat as you ride, so you stay a lot warmer. You'll quickly discover you don't need to wear near as much clothing as on a motorcycle.

My coldest bicycle commute to date was -14F. Even at that temp I didn't wear anything heavier than a windbreaker. My feet and hands are the biggest problem areas for keeping warm. Everything else stays pretty toasty just from body heat, except for occasionally my nose.

Haven't solved the nose issue yet below zero. If I pull my balaclava up over my nose to keep it warm, then my goggles ice over from my breath. I've half-seriously considered a swimming snorkle to get the steam from my breath up above my head where it won't interfere with my goggles. I'm fredly enough as it is without going down that path, though.