View Single Post
Old 10-10-11, 12:06 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I always thought Fred's definition changes depending which part of the forum your in, hell depending on the context a lot of people on this site seem to revel in being a "Fred" I know over in SS/FG it seems a fred is more someone riding in a full kit and showing off all accessories/unneeded bells and whistles to everyone he can... I'm pretty sure I'm a C&V Fred since I take old bikes and do modernish things to them... but yeah a fred can be a compliment depending on who your talking to and what context, to the generalized insult that everyone gets a different image in their head of (probably why it can also be a compliment).
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
If it matters to you that you might be a Fred - you aren't. Freds don't care what you ride, but like it if you do. Freds ride their bikes with whatever gear they deem necessary without worrying about weight, color coordination, or the latest and greatest doodad. Freds just ride, and can usually be identified readily by the bugs that adorn their grins as they do so. IMHO.
And if that's a fred, I'm proud to be one.