KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
For whatever reasons, this "I don't care" attitude really rubs me the wrong way. I mean, I understand it to a point- I don't need to fret about what other people think of my personal decisions. But if I'm breaking the law, I need to start to care- otherwise our society is in a lot of trouble if it keeps going this way. I suppose I should infer from what you said that you don't follow the law just in order to make others happy, but that you think it is generally a good idea to follow it- but maybe I'm wrong.
What I'm saying is that I follow the law either because I think it's the right thing to do, or because I'm afraid of the repercussions in not following the law. If local police made a concerted effort to crack down on cyclists safely going through red lights, I'd probably start finding a different way to ride out of neccessity. Regardless of whether I can, I won't ride against traffic because it's dangerous for me and inconsiderate to others. I won't ride on the sidewalk because it's the wrong thing to do and does interfere with other people. I don't just ride a certain way because recent activists are concerned about perception.

I ride how I feel is safe for me, based on my experience, and how I feel is considerate to other traffic. I do not feel stopping at every light is safer for me, nor do I feel Idaho laws are inconsiderate to other traffic. If you want to start a rule based law discussion with me, I'll point out some of the ridiculous codes and laws that no one follows. I'll point out that the biggest group of rule breakers, on a % basis, are pedestrians. I'll also point out that an unenforced law isn't really a law. I have never once been stopped by police because of my riding and I always try to behave in a considerate manner...and have found that to be ultimately safer for me. If someone is mad because I filtered at a light on principle, I am not interested. I don't ride to improve the world, or to set an example. I ride to be safe, to get where I need to go and to have fun. With all due respect, a lot of the most self righteous cyclists in my area are some of the least experienced. I've been doing this for a long time...I have ridden more miles on bike than I've driven in a car and I feel I have ample experience to make judgements on what works for me.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-02-11 at 02:14 PM.