Old 06-15-19, 11:25 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gurk700
I did. For like 3 weeks. Wasn't for me. Disc brakes are amazing. But I find them equally annoying. I love pulling most parts of my bike apart and throughly cleaning periodically. Having to bleed brakes when you disconnect hoses sucks. Discs also rub. No matter what your experience is, I don't care. They rubbed on all disc bikes I've ridden. I set it up perfectly. They would be dead quiet for couple hours and start rubbing afterwards.

I love the modulation. I love the rain performance. But my best descends are still on my rim brake bike. Handling characteristics of a bike have much more impact on descending than brake performance IMO. So the usual "you descend faster on a disc brake bike" is a bunch of BS.

Anyway.. If the brake rub is completely eliminated, weights significantly reduced and if they come up with a system like after market motorcycle brake lines where you can disconnect cables without introduce air bubbles in to the system, I might check it out again. Also quick bleed system like motorcycles where you undo a bolt, squeeze the brake 3-4 times and tighten (where the squeeze pushes bubbles out but doesn't let air in)
hydros can be finicky setting them up and adjusting them. basically there is never the same the same friction in 2 or 4 different pistons. so its much much morwe likely to rub on any side/piston. no matter the actual system or maker. they are all affected by this. all hydros work like this. almost impossible to keep them from rubbing over the long run.

Get mechanicals instead. i have bb7 road and bb7 mtn and they are much, much dependable and less finicky than hydros. by like a factor of 100 or so. no S! seriously.
i simply laugh at the idiots insisting on hydros. they dont know jack S. But they will find out how all this works soon enough! hahaha.