Old 09-09-19, 08:38 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I hate making suggestions on stuff like this as the person probably knows 10000x what I do about it.

But, I'm genuinely curious in the balance of CRR and aero between a 23mm on front versus a 19mm.

I'm not in a budget to afford the newer stuff and wonder what I throw away in CRR and practically applying power comfortably on a 19 versus what I could with a 23.

Not sure how you'd objectively do that though given your swap on the disc wheel and wheel swaps being a limiting factor.

Just a curiosity I've always had.

In terms of something easier to test? I've also wondered whether stacked hands is only a "high hands" trick or could also work out with lower hands.

Even if I think I ride with higher hands, it's not even close to what the modern fits are doing. If the road is smooth for a while I'll stack em. But wonder if it is worth it or not since I'm not "that high".
On a super smooth track there isn't a ton of balance between 19 and 23. It's heavily in favor of the narrowest tyre that reasonably fits your rim, since you want pressure to be insanely high anyways. On less ideal conditions it just really depends. Follow Josh's (Silca) advice for the most part and it should land you at least in good shape.

As for hands... I've tested it in the past (twice) in different trips and different positions. Stacking hands was never best in any of my positions. Possibly you need to almost stack the forearm on top of each other as well... or maybe it just looked cool when Zabriskie/Wiggo did it and we all assumed it was fast.

It's something I will probably look at (again) if I've got time.