Old 04-29-20, 12:49 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
I do that, but the caliper still rubs almost every time I reinstall the front wheel. I’ve gone through several sets of calipers, all of which behaved the same way. The bike in question is a 2016 GT Grade, which came w/ TRP HY-RD brakes (and Shimano 105 brifters). I went through a couple of pairs of those under warranty because it was impossible to adjust them so that they wouldn’t bottom out on the handlebars. TRP eventually sent me a pair of Spyre calipers, which worked w/o bottoming out, but like the HY-RDs needed re-aligning every time I took the front wheel off. Those were eventually replaced with Yokozuna Motokos, which worked great, but still required caliper re-alignment.

My best guess as to the root cause is that I use Nitto Randonneur bars, which have a traditional round bend instead of modern ergo bars that angle backwards in a straight line. I suspect an ergo bar would leave room for more lever travel, so that I have to adjust the pads close to the disc (which gives me a nice, firm lever feel) and there just isn’t any room for even the tiniest misalignment without caliper rub.
On QRs, the lawyer tabs are to blame. Since one has to turn the skewer a few times to remove and install the wheel, different tensions are placed each time which throw the alignment out of wack. I've had good luck counting revolutions (usually 4 or 5) when removing the wheel and tightening the same amount of revolutions.