GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
It doesn’t sound like the ear buds were the problem. Sounds like MUP warrior was the problem.

I saw a MUP warrior last Sunday pass me, who was waiting to safely pass two adults riding with their 4 year old daughter, pass all four of us in an area of the trail that was under construction. He was a BIG guy. Stormed by while barking “Passing left!” at well over 20 MPH. He came very, very close to literally running over the 4 year old girl, who as I anticipated moved to her left. He did the right thing and went down to avoid what would have no doubt been a horrible, possibly fatal accident for the little girl. Went down HARD.

I used to hate MUPs. Now I just slow way down and embrace the craziness.
No MUP warrior, it's a section of the Cedar Creek to Jones Beach to Tobay Beach path, It's 14 miles out and back. The stretch from Jones to Tobay is not visited from the average person and its used as a training segment. My solo average is 18mph and I often get passed.

I find most people, when you call "on your left" either move to the right or signal that they hear you. I see many runners, skaters and skateboarders with headphones that cover the ears and i'm 99.9% sure they never hear you. As to cyclists, most have wired earbuds and I see 2 wires to their head. I'll call out "on your left" and they tend to be surprised when i pass.. .like they didn't hear me.

I guess wearing one ear bud will allow you to hear. Interesting, I have a set of Bose Sport and it's the right side that's the master and connects to Bluetooth to my cell hone. The left is a slave and only connects to the right. Maybe that's to allow using the right and leaving the left off so you can hear traffic.

I'll have to go out on a day with no wind and some wind and see if i can hear traffic with just a right ear bud in.

But i still don't plan on using them when I ride.