Old 01-15-20, 11:56 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Reflectors are good! none of your tail lights will ever be brighter than their headlights. This isn't saying don't run tail lights, it's just saying reflectors are important too. So if all you run is a light then run a light that is married to a reflector.

I am too lazy to go find the link. however there was a study or something that said reflectors that resembled a person was best. So legs arms, body. Which means ankle straps that reflect, reflectors on arms, and torso are all a good thing!

My take on it from driving. Blinking lights are hard to gauge distance on. Or how fast I am approaching them. Thus, you really want a solid light, to go with your blinking light. or a solid reflector to go with your blinking light.
Blinking lights are good, especially ones with patterns, because if someones attention drifts, the blink will re grab their attention.

I don't see how shape alters any of this, Except for the shape of a human body. jacket, vest, sleeves legs etc.... even if it's just an outline.

Edit: what really grabbed my attention one night while driving a car was the reflector of a guard rail, that was randomly blinking. It slowed me way down like from 55 to 30 ish !!! Still confused it wasn't until the next day, in daylight, I saw that someone had put up miniature flags. POW flags. that little 4x6 inch flag flapping in the wind was flapping in front of that guard rail deflector. In the dark I could only assume it was a person/animal on the road. I'll also assume that most driver would ignore this or never see it. So go all out if riding at night!

Last edited by Metieval; 01-16-20 at 12:01 AM.