View Single Post
Old 11-24-20, 12:59 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
I just wonder where in the World any Taylor would be "underrated".
Everywhere, judging by the prices they command compared to other handbuilt randonneur bikes from midcentury. In absolute terms, the Taylors' work was on par with the French greats like Herse, Singer, Routens, etc. But while something French gets several grand in a flash on the auction site, a Taylor with the same features can languish unloved by bidding action for multiple weeks and eventually sell for around $1000. My Taylor tandem and my Herse tandem are comparable in weight, styling, lighting, load carrying capacity, and custom built parts (stems). The Taylor is here on the best scores thread, and the Herse cost me more than my car. The Herse, strangers contact me and say they're jealous, while I am surprised when I hear a peep about the Taylor.

The Taylor definitely wins in smiles per mile, because it's a superb machine and thanks to its underratedness I'm not afraid to ride it as it was meant to be ridden. The Herse, once it's done, I will be cautious to take out on gravel!