TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bornonthefourth
Hello,

I had my right knee replacement last July, right after my 48th birthday.

Brief background:
I ride a Specialized Roubaix road bike and had been riding around 100 miles a week prior to the meniscus injury and surgery that left me bone on bone. I have had bad knees my whole life (patella femoral syndrome and knee pain since I was 13). My kneecap was also a mess and had to be augmented with a "button" during surgery. I'm a woman, if that matters.

Question/Problem:
When I ride, I feel a rubbing/something moving/not feeling normal in my knee. It happens on every rotation and feels extremely uncomfortable and then sore/painful.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's making cycling extremely difficult.

I did have a follow-up appointment with my surgeon regarding this issue and he examined my knee as well as complete x-rays and blood work to eliminate the possibility of infection. He showed me the x-rays and said that everything is fine.

I've been walking and swimming to strengthen my knee, but cycling is my favorite and I miss it.

Sorry for the long post, but would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
He can tell you everything is fine but obviously if you are unable to ride without or at least minimal pain than everything is not fine. I would go and have another doc take a look at it see what they say. Perhaps a muscle imbalance in the quads causing it to track incorrectly.
My wife had bilateral knee replacement 11 years ago. Her problem was Patella Alta which was caused by a too long patella tendon. She can now ride without issue she does have an issue from time to time with a bone spur which seems to flare up when she gets swelling in the area. I don't think that sounds like what you're encountering.
It's got to be frustrating when you have a major surgery done and then you can't ride your bike which is supposedly best activities you can do with a new knee. Good luck.