Thread: Addiction LXXVI
View Single Post
Old 11-17-19, 01:29 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I feel your pain. I have a somewhat similar story, but different. I urgently wanted a new dog in my life because I so dearly missed my previous dog who died unexpectedly and prematurely. But Mrs. BD wanted nothing to do with any more dogs at this stage in our lives (both retired). Eventually I wore her down with persistence and we got a new puppy, a doberman, who is now 7 months, and I realize now the price I'm paying for ignoring my wife's wisdom. I had no idea a doberman pup was a totally different critter than other pups. There are many people I've met recently who adore dobermans and swear by them. I think they're lonely, masochistic, crazy people. This freaking dog is just too much!! Needy and demanding. She resents us when we sit down to watch tv together as she will get the noisiest toy she can find and drown out the tv . . . how dare we not spend more time with her. She is headstrong and physically strong with a bad habit of jumping on one to demonstrate her love, whether you like it or not. Nothing we have tried has worked well yet on the jumping. Fortunately I have a half acre of fenced-in yard because she uses all of it to run around at full speed, for no good reason, just because she can. Any outdoor or indoor chores you have to do you must plan to do them during her 2 - 3 hour post breakfast nap because otherwise she will insist on being right in the middle of it, you just can't get anything done.

She is a monster, I could go on and on but this is already too long for most to read. All the veteran doberman owners claim she will calm down with maturity. I cannot wait for that day to come. I am a calm, laid back individual being pushed to the limit by this high-strung 60 lb, strong, big-footed "puppy". She has a looooong way to go before she can fill any of the shoes of my former dogs.

/RANT

And the absolute worst part is I've had to admit to Mrs. BD that she was right all along.
Just this morning we were talking small dog. We are both big(large) dog people, but we are now both in our late sixties. We have an 11 year old, and two 4 year olds.