Old 09-19-18, 09:00 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I know they SAY the DK will never change. But my entire career has been wrapped up in acquisitions like this one. I've seen too many. Unless the organization was screaming out for change and change would universally be seen as needed, they always say the surviving entity will not change. But if there were no reason for a change to happen, they would not have made the acquisition (or the sale). And even if they TRY to keep it the same, they just can't. It would have changed anyway under the old ownership but, with new ownership, the constituencies will be a lot more touchy (and more likely to bolt) in the face of needed changes. At some point, probably 18 to 24 months from now, the new owners will demand a change that Jim & Co. just can't stomach. At that point, Jim & Co. will realize that they don't own the future, anymore. Their response to that will be pretty important to the future of the event.

I think the corporate / bike industry aspect will get better. If you're really into the bike show thing, I think this will be good news. I think the grassroots aspect will continue to deteriorate. Let's face it . . . the "grassroots" aspect of DK has been slipping away for several years now. It couldn't last forever. And if they get too "slick" or the face of the event is too "for profit," the locals will likely lose enthusiasm. Kansans will make huge sacrifices to make a truly local event -- a COMMUNITY event -- into the greatest thing going. (Look what they've done, to this point, with DK!) But if big money comes to town, they'll wonder why they should continue to be what makes the event happen.

Another important 2018 DK fact . . . one of the key land owners/managers who kept the route available every year died in the last year. He was a huge supporter with a lot of influence with local ranchers and land owners. It's very possible that DK was/is going to have a harder time putting together the route through the open range. (Say goodbye, cowpens!) Jim got and kept the route because of his relationships and those of this supporter. I will be shocked if land access doesn't, at the very least, cost a lot more in the coming years. The DK may lose some of its traditional landmarks.

All that to say . . . I'm planning to go back. I'm not looking forward to 3,000 entrants -- unless they stage the start for the 200, that's just waaaaay too many people to cram onto a 1 1/2 lane dirt road at the start. DK already isn't the old DK. It will be exciting (I hope) seeing where the new owners take it from here!
It will change but it's been changing anyway just because of the explosion in popularity. My first year was 2015 and it was already a zoo then, it's just gotten even more so every year since, especially with all the pro roadies who are now showing up and stirring up drama.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just the nature of the beast. It's definitely not grass roots anymore but I'm not sure how you would keep it grass roots without capping the riders at like 100 or something.

That said, I had the least amount of fun this year out of the four of them I've done so far. Some of it was just bad luck out on the course, but some of it was due to the organization and atmosphere of the event. For instance, I didn't really see any added value that corresponded with the substantial price increase.

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on this -- according to people involved with Leadville and Chequamegon, Life Time has been good about keeping the local organizers involved and supporting the community. However, I'll be keeping my eyes open on what's going on.

I'll be back too -- I want to get my 1000-mile club -- but after that I'll step aside and let someone else have my spot.