Old 12-19-18, 03:55 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
For that data to be there, there would have to be significant numbers of people dealing with financial hardship by switching to more affordable transportation. What you should be looking at is how people deal with economic hardship when they run out of money, can't get a new job, get evicted, etc. Then, if you could go back through all their financial mistakes, you might find a moment where they could have forgone automotive expenses and made do with other costs of living by going car-free, instead of running drugs or doing something else illegal to afford to keep driving, for example.

I'm for giving people legal/ethical options for making do with less money, with more affordable transportation as one such option.

This sounds like the old conundrum of how can you fit an elephant into a refrigerator.
1. Open refrigerator door
2. Put Elephant in
3. Close door.

It's that simple really. With scooter/bike sharing, the steps are
1) check out share scooter/bike
2) ride to bus stop
3) leave scooter/bike for next user.

Maybe you can make it more complicated by adding another step where people have to ditch their cars before riding share vehicles to bus stops, like this:

if you bothered to follow my link you would notice no one is even trying to eat the elephant they have. Plus people without a job as you mentioned wouldn’t need to travel the first or last mile.

But it this isn’t about the economy, or ecology, or sociology it is about e-scooters and who does or doesn’t use or want them.

There is a forum for social and political debate. This isn’t it. Many posters have listed many reasons for wanting to be car free. Loss of work, loss of a drivers license as reasons they are car free but this forum was supposed to be for those who prefer other forms of transportation and scooter simply have too many limitations to expand their usage.

I believe I have made my point. Transportation choices have been pretty steady for as many years as this forum has been in existence. There has been no information presented to date to make me believe more scooters will equal less cars.