View Single Post
Old 08-25-19, 07:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Rather than buying a long sleeve cycling jersey, I wear lightweight polypro tops under a short sleeved cycling jersey. It adds a second layer against the torso. That’s good to 55 and I’ll wear non insulated tights with that, plus polypro glove liners under summer short fingers gloves.

If windy I’ll wear a very light wind jacket, cycling specific, I’ve used Pearl Izumi and EDIT: Canari, or some such, cheap stuff from online. It’s not sized larger as they assume it’s an outer layer.

If below 50 I might go to lightly insulated tights, the above torso plus wind jacket, I’ll add a light polypro skull cap and will wear a pair of long fingered cycling gloves designed for fall/spring. Sometimes and if it looks like it’ll warm up I’ll wear my lightly insulated leg warmers instead of tights.

Below 45 and I’m adding neoprene booties. I have a really old set from Performance in their XXL size that fit over my sizes 47 SPD lugged sole shoes. Not sure what I’ll replace them with, as nobody makes that large a size these days.

If it calls for drizzle or is below 35 I’ll switch to a GoreTex cycling jacket that’s a heavier fabric then my light jacket and is warmer.

Take advantage of whatever sales are available. I once added up the cost of all the clothing I was wearing and at $450 it’s more than some people pay for their bikes !, but then the clothing actually lets me enjoy riding in the cold where their bikes are in the garage till May.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-25-19 at 03:01 PM.