Old 02-04-09, 05:33 PM
tanhalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC Roadie
Hi,
Looking for some advice from the TT pro's. This is the profile for the TT of the Southern Nevada Stage Race.

My instinct tells me that a TT bike still takes the advantage on this course, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

The equipment choices available are a Cervelo P2C or a Felt F1 (around 15 lbs). Also have the choice of full disc rear, tri-spoke front, Easton 56mm EC90s, or Reynolds 46mm DV's. What do you think, TT bike with the full aero set-up, or go lightweight, or something in between. If there's no real advantage to the TT bike, I'd rather not haul around the extra bike. Thanks...
To be honest...to answer that question you need to know (along with what's been asked before):
a.) What's the difference in CdA between your TT aero position and your "basebar" position on the TT bike.
b.) How does the "basebar" position CdA on the TT bike compare to your "hoods" position on your road bike.
c.) At what %grade will you find yourself coming out of the aero position?

One thing to watch out for in looking at the course profile is that you're looking at it with distance as the "x-axis". It's more helpful IMO if you can somehow estimate what the profile would look like if time was the x-axis...that way you'll see in which sections you'll spend more time (and where each option has pluses and minuses). My gut feel is that you'll be spending a lot more time "climbing" and out of the full aero position than in. In that case, go with the lightest, most aero combo you can put together.

Without looking into it further, if it where me, I'd probably go with your road bike (especially since you don't want to drag the TT bike along), EC 90s, clip-ons, skinsuit, booties, aero helmet...and the wheel choice might be different depending on what tires (and type - tubular? clincher?) you have on each set...