Old 01-03-20, 07:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
For me too. Since bikes became the new "it" I'm amazed at the price people are willing to spend on them.

One problem I see with trying to go light light weight in this case is the strength penalty you may pay, considering the rider weight. Sometimes people run fairly light systems like lower spoke counts or thinner rim material but then turn out to be riders in the about 140 -160lb's range. For a heavier rider, or a bike that is going to see hard use I personally would err a bit on the conservative side for build strength.

Not to say one can't be light and strong but the cost for that tends to go up quite a bit.

After looking at a light wheelset and going tubeless, I would focus on the tires. A light set that has good (low) rolling resistance can make quite a difference and be factored into the general cost of consumables so as not to be a big hit in the pocketbook. It's an upgrade/change I plan to do next spring for my fatbike while using what have through the winter when snow and mud make rolling resistance somewhat moot.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-03-20 at 07:20 PM.