Old 06-02-20, 09:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Why? What you're doing sounds fine to me. Depends on what you're trying to do. Firstly, it's really hard to track what's happening with your body without data. I know, our forebears didn't have data, they just went by feel. That works once one has years of experience, but it is quicker and in many way simpler to track our inner workings with data. I'm saying TrainingPeaks Premium, Golden Cheetah, or something like that. I use TrainingPeaks. I get numbers to watch. Recommended.

Anyway, and be that as it may, and so forth, the most effective training tactic I've found is to first figure out where your training week begins and ends. For most folks, the start is either Saturday or Sunday. Then load the heck up at the start of your week, like really kill it, and then spend the rest of week training at gradually decreasing levels until by the end of the week you feel OK again. For example my typical summer week might look like this when I was in my 50s an 60s::
Sunday: 60 mile hilly ride, ridden hard
Monday: 4-5 hour hike in the mountains
Tuesday: off (hard to even walk)
Wednesday: SS intervals of if still really cooked, an hour of endurance Z2
Thursday: VO2max intervals or SS intervals or an hour of endurance Z2
Friday: 30 minutes recovery on the rollers
Saturday: off

If no mountains or one prefers just to focus on cycling, long moderate ride on Monday. Of course one could start the week on Saturday or any other day. We used to take Mondays off.