Old 02-13-20, 01:18 AM
tekergo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a new bike after 15 years. Can I get some help, please?

Hi everyone!

So, my good old XC bike got a crack on its frame. Not a big deal, but i was already hesitating if it is worth to refurbish the bike once again. Now i decided it is the time to say goodbye.

(btw yes, i haven't bought a new bike for 15 years, it's a 26" bike with 1.9 tyres, 3x9 system and everything you can imagine from that time on the lower end. I was training, racing, touring on it, keeping it alive by swapping anything that died )

I started looking around webshops and manufacturers' websites, in hope i can find a bike i like. My budget is about 1500€, but i can go a bit higher if there's an exceptionally good deal. As you can see, it's a long time investment for me
I think aluminium is better for me, 29er (i'm 1.9m tall) definitely with an XC geometry. I grew up with the handlebar being way lower than the saddle and i don't mind that

I also don't really care about the smaller components, if the frame/wheels/fork combo is already good. The rest can be swapped easier, if needed, and the bike is already pretty much defined by these three.
I like the idea to put a 27.5+ (or just plus-ish) wheel into a 29er, so although i could live without it, if the frame/fork can allow it, that's definitely a plus. Literally

My main problem is, it seems that now almost everything has a 1x drivetrain, which of course has its benefits, i don't really like the idea. I live in a relatively flat area, smaller steps between gears is more important to me than those few grams of the front derailleur. So i would like to have a 2x, that's for sure.

So my question is: do any of you can suggest a bike that could fit me? Or if i can't find any that is the perfect bike, what about building one? I have never done it before, is that much more expensive? Can i even do it right for the first try? (not the mechanic part, but finding the good components that work well together)

I have already found some pretty nice ones so you can see what i have imagined. I can't link them here (i just registered), but will tell their names.

Merida Big.Nine 700
I've heard that Manitou forks are pretty good and stiff for their price, also that Merida frames are quite good. The rims are a big question mark to me, and the only thing i really don't like is the 12 speed cassette. I feel it unnecessary for me, i'm a lightweight and a relatively strong rider (and the 12x system probably has lower lifetime from the narrow chain, bigger cassettes are more expensive to replace, etc.). How does it work? What's the difference between a 10 (or 11) and a 12? Can i just swap them out on the same hub, or they're all a different story, even maybe including the front chainrings?

Specialize Men's Chisel Comp
This is the other one that looks promising to me, although i don't know its exact price yet. Is that fork any good? What about the wheels? The components seem to be a bit lower level than on the Merida, is it because Specialized is a bit overpriced, or is the rest of the bike that much better?

Radon JEALOUS AL 9.0 2X11
This one seems to be great too, although i've never heard about this brand before, i feel it a bit risky. Too bad none of their 2020 models are equipped with 2x dirvetrains. I wish it was optional at ordering.

Rose Count Solo
This one looks to be a great deal too (this brand is unknown to me as well), but that rear brake mounting gives me headaches. It looks a bit dumb compared to all those new ones tightly hidden in the corner of the rear triangle.

So far i would probably go for the Merida if that drivetrain could be reduced back to 10 or so. Or the Specialized, if that is any good.
What do you guys think? Can my worries be solved? Or should i go to hell with all my whining?
Also if you know any other brands that have similar bikes and could be good for me, please don't hold it back! I'm open to any ideas, we'll see how it goes. I'm sure it'll be a big change to me, anything i buy after this 26x1.9 wheeled old bike, but i want to do it right.
It sounds snobbish, but i would prefer a new, 2020 model over older generations, starting real fresh with the geometry for the next several years. If that makes sense.

Thank you very much for your help, any little it might be!