Old 12-07-17, 08:56 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have given lights at night a lot of thought lately. I put my driver's hat on and started really paying attention to other cyclists when I'm in my car driving at dark. There's a cyclist who rides like the OP when I take my son to school in the early morning before light. As a cyclist I "see" the rider but as a motorist all I see is a small blinking red light and some reflective strips. Yes it's bright but it's small and if reality it doesn't stand out 'that' much. If there was something else to catch my eye and make me pay closer attention to the cyclist what could that be?

I'm thinking a bright blue flashing light with a red one would definitely make me take notice as a motorist. I'm currently looking for a bright flashing blue light for my bike. Once I find one I'm going to set both up on a post near my house and drive by with my car to see if it makes a difference. My guess is yes it will. The fact that police cars use blue and red flashing lights could make me a target (for bad guys) just as well as an avoidance (for good guys) has crossed my mind; however, I'm going to try it never the less. A green light may be just as effective without making me a target for the bad guys so I'm going to try that also.

I also think that red lights attached to each ankle going up and down would also make me take closer notice also.