View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 03:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
So Friday we were doing 80 miler. I started off ok. It got hot fast. I had problems holding 22 mph in the line and couldn't pull at all. I noticed my heart rate was way low for me. And I couldn't really get over 115 bpm. I was extremely distressed. By the last 20 miles I couldn't even rotate through, I stayed in the back and sucked wheels.
I think now I know what may have happened. I woke up with the onset of heart burn. I get it frequently and medicate for it. The problem is I am a creature of habit. Instead of only taking my Omeprazole, I took all of my meds. Blood pressure cholesterol and aspirin. I also took them the previous evening , pretty much doubling my dosage.
I took yesterday off the bike. Today I was back to normally 150, 160 bpm no problem.
​​​​​best part, no meds since Friday. 117 over 67 bp today after my ride
If one of your BP meds is a beta blocker or a certain type of calcium channel blocker (non-dihydropyridine class) then that is almost certainly the bad actor.

I sometimes joke that the best way to dope your way towards winning a race is to put a beta blocker in your opponent's water bottle.

It's a JOKE but it would work, prolly.