Old 09-14-20, 05:39 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Little more help please. The fork is slightly gouged at the top. I tried to take a picture but it was blurry, and I accidentally pressed video instead of picture,... I can try again tomorrow. Maybe somebody dropped the fork and it landed top first?

Anyway, the tube is not out of round but the gouge has pushed some material towards the center of the tube. Maybe 1 mm or so. it is enough to make putting in a stem a problem.

How to fix? What tools would I need?
There are a lot of BF forum members around you surely someone will know what to do or how to help, if this is an old 520, it will be a lovely rider to build up. Also, this may be worth looking at with a bike shop. You'll need a new headset, and depending on how much tube length is needed you may need to cut down and rethread the steering tube anyway.

It was originally a 27" wheel 126mm rear dropout spaced bike, however this was just before they made 520's with Cantilevers so you just need longer reach caliper brakes or center pulls to make this frame work with 700c wheels. Cool find and worth the build up.