Old 09-25-20, 02:02 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
Hell with Pog and Roglic .. even the suits where the same...
According to Johan Bruynell on his spinoff podcast, team JV had specially designed skinsuits that were supposed to be faster, but he couldn't use it because the yellow skinsuit is provided by ASO. Neither here nor there, but interesting.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My point isn't about the seconds gained but the focus. For Roglic, it was a stage he had to do to get to arrive in Paris in yellow. And he knew it was given that with a good ride, he'd match his rivals. For Pogacar it was THE STAGE, the whole Tour. Pretty obvious he had been looking forward to it a while. He knew he was going in fully dialed. Everything was "on".
Nah, not buying that. I mean, it wasn't as if he was taking it easy in the previous stages. He made some huge efforts to win a couple, and on the other tough climbs it looked like both he and Roglic were giving close to 100%.

Originally Posted by wv_mtnbkr
I think the mental state is key. Pogacar literally had nothing to lose. He knew where he was at on the TT bike and "all" he had to do was go full gas on the climb. Meanwhile, Rog watched Pog blow out of the start house and was getting time checks leading up to the climb that showed him losing more and more time. Also, Pog had beaten Rog in their national TT, and that may have already been weighing on Rog from the start
One guy with nothing to lose versus the other guy who is watching it slip away...
See above. The margin was too big to be explained by mentality, especially because Roglic didn't have a particularly bad time. The gap in their National TT was something like 19 seconds, and Roglic had a buffer of 57 going into the TT, so I'm not buying that he was spooked.