View Single Post
Old 10-25-17, 02:54 PM
kings run east

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
For what it's worth, entering the track on the back straight (the side without the finish line) and exiting the track on the home straight (the side with the finish line) is common etiquette at tracks around the world.
Totally. But there's a very narrow passage before you enter the back straight, and in this case you exit on the back straight as well.

Safely entering and exiting a track, especially a short one with lots of activity, can seem treacherous. But, it's possible.
Sure- I've had no issue at other tracks that are short, but I would consider the geometry of the entry to the back straight of this one in particular to be dangerous.

Everyone will appreciate if you err on the side of safety. A good track director will appreciate that.
Since I was yelled at by the track director several times while erring on the side of safety, I'm not sure that he fits your criteria.

One is commonly expected to exit the track after they reasonably slow down to a safe exit speed. So, if you are a riding doing a flying 200m at 40mph/65kph, then it might take 1.5 or 2 laps to safely slow the bike down.
This expectation is not extended at BVV under the current management, at least not during cert classes. The director indicated that this expectation wouldn't be extended during races as well, but I don't know first hand.

Don't be discouraged.
I'm not, I'm just offering my insight into the design strategies of the track and I'm speculating on how they might affect its culture.

So, it's probably better to instill a bit of fear and firmness into new riders who may be skilled (and bold) from riding other disciplines than it is to hope they know better.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here... I'm describing how the design of the track is unsafe for riders, not that the director is too strict. If you mean to suggest that my understanding of his comment about cool down laps is serving to instill fear and firmness, creating a culture of fear and firmness that pushes riders to ride unsafely seems fairly counterproductive- and dangerous.