View Single Post
Old 08-04-15, 07:47 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I went to Summits Bikes. The first bike I tested was the ALR Emonda. 56 inches. It felt good. Smooth, but worked more muscles than the mountain bike I ride on the roads. I'm serious. I feel that it was easier on my body and an easier ride, but as a bonus it worked a lot of muscles. I was sweating just riding that bike around the block but when I ride my mountain bike it takes me a long time to sweat. So I guess that's a good thing because even though the bike is easier on my body and more efficient, I do feel that it works my muscles more. It works the heart too, but it's easy on my body.

The 2nd bike I tried was the One Series 1.2 Madone. This one was 58 inches. It didn't feel quite as smooth. But the other issue was that 58 inches was too long for my body. At a little over 5 ft 10, the guy estimated that 58 inches was gonna be the right size. But I told him that my legs were shorter for my body and that I don't have a long arm reach. Boy that one felt too long and it was a drag. Going up the hill on it was impossible and it really hurt my groin.

So the bottom line is that the right bike size is very important and I underestimated it. I could have just walked out with the 58 inch bike and I would have never rode that thing. I did like the ALR Emonda though. I didn't flip down the stem because I don't know how yet, but the ride was smooth for what it was. Much nicer than my mountain bike (which I ride on roads.) It felt very easy and natural, but a challenge for my muscles in a good way.

Now he does have a 56 inch One Series 1.2 Madone. He's going to have the other bike shop bring it in and he's going to give me a call. But he did say that the ALR Emonda was a better bike. It did feel better, but at the same time I don't know how the One Series would feel if it was a 56 instead of 58. The length really didn't feel right. But I asked him his opinion on Fuji and he said that there's nothing wrong with a Fuji, but based on his and his customers experience, the Trek is a much better experience.

I'm really thinking about getting the ALR. Price isn't a concern. It's about 1,599. But he said it's better than the Madone 2.1. He said it's actually replacing the Madone 2.1
Road bikes absolutely engage more of your body's muscles in riding, that's the main appeal to me for the geometry, so don't go thinking that is unique to that particular bicycle, all road bikes enable you to ride and climb more efficiently because with a more upright bike you are mainly using your legs only to climb while with a road bike you are using your whole body.