Old 09-05-19, 10:10 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightning Pilot
When I encounter a "zaftig," or just plain overweight/obese older person on the road or trail, I give them a and think (or sometimes even say) "Sierra Hotel!" (Look it up if you don't know.) Why? Because I know from a lot of experience just how hard it can be, and that it gets harder every year, after a certain age. I don't give a !#@$% %&*@! what you are wearing or how you look (unless you look like you are having serious difficulties!) You are golden in my eyes.
There's a thread that heralds the advantages of ageing. One of them is knowing the difference between someone generally trying to change their lives and someone just going through the motions. Sure, the first step is getting out there (and for some that can be a huge first step), but one step won't get you're going if you have a long road ahead. There needs to be a second step, and one after that, and one after that.

I've went out of my way on many occasion through the years to help others that were trying to change the way they look and every single one of them have given up soon after starting. Many of which fall back on the old excuse of age. Fortunately, I've lived long enough to know that's rarely an excuse. I feel the same things they feel.

Some days I feel I can barely move and have to literally drag myself up to go exercise, but that's the path that I have chosen. Most cyclist I've seen have a pretty good focus on keeping in shape. But when it comes to anaerobic training, its just the opposite.

People of all ages would regularly come up to me to ask me questions about training (I could give you pages of examples of why I no longer bother -- my time is valuable too), but suffice it to say that anyone who carries a cell phone to the gym isn't serious about training. The moment I see that, I politely say, "Rule #1 , leave the cell phone at home," and walk away.