Old 03-29-15, 06:04 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Actually, the bikes I currently own are pretty well chosen for my needs. Being an Uber-Clyde, and living in a FLAT part of the country, I just don't need a wide variety of things that someone lighter and/or living in more mountainous terrain would hold dear.

Light weight, for example, is fun, but absolutely unnecessary for me. Instead, I want durability and comfort, and I'm willing to tolerate a heavier bike to get them. A prime example is my new Brooks B190 saddle.

Since I don't need to climb, descend, or race, the "racing style bike" lacks much appeal to me as well.

I'm well served for the past few years by my Townie coaster-brake model. And before you sneer, I put a consistent 250 miles per month on it. The 50mm tires tolerate the local roads without flats and with more comfort than other bikes provide. The single gear is appropriate for the terrain. The simplicity makes for good durability. If I had to keep but one bike, it would be that one (or the Townie 3-speed, which weighs but a hair more).

So my "divest" bikes remain the Nishiki road bike, the Raleigh road bike, and the Electra 7-speed cruiser. CraigsList, here I come!

As to "divest bossy wife," she's more essential to me than the bike, and she shows some signs of being willing to start riding with me now that I've gotten her an appropriate bike also. I'm a lucky man!

FarHorizon