Old 09-08-18, 01:50 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80

The most you can do is open the fit/tcx/gpx on your tablet by clicking on it and selections “Open in...” then select “Copy to Elemnt” whichnis the Wahoo phone app. Then it will copy the route to the bike computer via Bluetooth. But you cannot do it via cable. At least that’s the process in iOS.

So so you have to get the file onto the tablet or in another app. I’ll try it and see.
Hi John,
I haven't used IOS with the Elemnt, only android.
I've been using the device for over 2 years, mainly for navigation, so I (think!) I'm reasonably well versed on the process via the app.

But... I recently discovered I can bypass the app altogether by transferring the file directly from my PC to the unit via a standard USB cable.
From Wahoo: https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/con...10d166&lang=en

Through a Mac or PC connection to the ELEMNT:

1. Once the ELEMNT is connected to your Mac or PC (instructions here), you can drag and drop a route file (in either TCX or GPX format) into the ELEMNT's routes folder.
  2. When the transfer is complete, find the route by scrolling to your ELEMNT's Map page, then press ROUTE.
(Personally, I wish I had known this ages ago. Most of my routes are prepared on the computer. This is an easier process than emailing the gpx/trx file to my phone, then uploading to the app, and then transferring to the unit! )

So.... if it can be done from a PC, in my simple mind, it should be doable from a tablet. Tablets with a USB connection are few and far between, and I'm sure there's more to it than just a USB port. But there my technological knowledge starts to get cloudy.

Why do I want to do this?
I do a lot of long distance touring and it is not practical (nor enjoyable) to plan a week's ride (or longer) and stick rigidly to it.
When Wifi or data is available, it's not a problem to plan a new route on the fly.
However, I am looking for a solution when wifi/data is not available.

Currently, using OSMand on the tablet I can plan a route and transfer it to my phone all without internet. To load that route in the app needs a momentary internet connection, so this is where the process fails.

It is the app that requires the internet connection, not the unit.

If I can transfer the route directly to the Elemnt unit, bypassing the app, no internet connection is required and my issue is solved.

I then have a unit that will work anywhere, be re-routable anywhere, irrespective of data/wifi availability.

Thanks!