Old 10-25-19, 06:54 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
KC, my experience pretty much line up with the others here who are positive about the ortlieb map cases.
Mine also is an older one, that used the snaps.
My wife has a never bag, the one with magnets, but doesnt have a map case. When I got her bag, and looking at them in stores beforehand, my impression was that I didnt like the magnet only system, that it would be easier for someone to open in and pickpocket stuff when walking around with it--which for me was a real concern for some of my trips, so Im glad I have the old one with snaps. I was also concerned about if my camera would topple out if myh bike fell over, wondering if the weight of the camera would open the top in a spill.
My wife recently had a tumbe and I was surprised that the lid didnt open up--but in any case, this is all a moot point given that its been years that the snap model is gone.

specifically to your question, my map holder has faded a bit, or yellowed a bit, but its still entirely useable, and is probably about 7 or 8 years old, I cant recall.

here we come to most important thing though--having used various map cases over the years, the Ortlieb is THE one that due to its roll top velcro closing system, is the only one that actually keeps maps dry in constant rain.
The case size is larger than a lot of map cases, which is also really nice to use and appreciated for less often "removing anf refolding" a map when on a long trip or using a closer detailed map.

these two last points are the main reasons that their map cases have such a good reputation. Size and genuiune waterproofness is what you really want in a map case.

even though I havent used the newer type, it must be fairly good and must hold the case on securely. Ortlieb has too much of a reputation not to make something that works very well.

and to link to your other thread question, yes paper maps are still very useful and I still like using them, in addition to tech stuff if needed.
Likes For djb: