Old 06-16-20, 09:56 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jma1st3r
I am with you on spokes, i believe that as well. I had thought simply getting wider rims would help. But now it seem how the spokes are tuned is very very important. Maybe my LBS didnt double check when I got my bike...or a simple fact I didnt as a new bike owner. I'm with you on spoke tension, I've watched the Parktools video on spokes and how its measured and that gives me somewhat of a introduction to this.

As to preload.. I saw someone stepping on their spoke in one of the wheel building video on youtube before completing the truing process.
Ah, you're talking about the stress relief. I've seen people stepping on their wheels on the side and whatnot as part of their stress relief. I have't built that many wheels yet (five so far), I did the spoke squeezing method, the pushing down on the rim lying on its side method, and pushed the spoke J bends over at the hub flange method, and had minimal to no spoke popping on first riding. Yeah, I can see how that's important because when a spoke pops it's loosening up, and if it loosens up enough that in the min/max cycling it gets low enough tension to loosen further there's going to be problems.